Dating


This week in class we discussed dating. Everyone’s favorite topic. Studying at Brigham University – Idaho, I feel that this is something that we hear about all the time. Either in devotionals, church, classes or even just around campus. That being said, I feel your pain in having to hear it again, but please bear with me. Once again, this is just based on my personal thoughts and beliefs.
I’ve personally had a very interesting dating experience. My family has often told me I should write a blog or book about my experiences, because they’re just so crazy. Thankfully I won’t be doing that here, but rather just sharing my thoughts on the topic and what we learned over this last week.
It seems to me that the concept of actual dating is a dying art. People just don’t seem to date anymore. We hang out. Rather than plan time spent together, we tend to just never leave the other person alone and spend all our time with them.
Often when one of my roommates is dating someone, it feels like we have an extra roommate, because her boyfriend is always over at our apt. I have nothing against them being there, but it has often caused me to ponder on how vastly different the world of dating is from that of our parent’s generation.

One of the things we discussed in class is the four steps of dating.
1. Dating – Lots of activities with a variety or people
2. Courtship – Serious, exclusive dating to determine if you’re compatible for marriage.
3. Engagement – Promise of Marriage. Keep Dating
4. Marriage – Teamwork based on friendship. Keep Dating.

In our parents’ or grandparent’s generations, this was the pattern that most seemed to follow. It was their culture. They took each step one at a time and didn’t slide from one to the next. However, in ours’ we tend to seamlessly move from one to the next. It’s considered normal to plan a wedding before you’re even officially engaged or officially boyfriend/girlfriend. Today’s dating culture doesn’t appear to have any set lines or steps to follow. Dating shouldn’t be a race into romance, but rather a carefully considered decision regarding your future.
We all seem to be in love with the idea of love. I think that rather than race headlong into relationships, we ought to take the time to prayerfully consider what we want n our relationships, and what we need to do in our dating habits to reach it.